Monday, May 19, 2008

Rory Root, R.I.P.


Comics retailer organization ComicsPRO has posted a message from the organization's president Joe Field that comics retailer Rory Root has passed away:

Difficult news today---Rory Root, owner of Berkeley CA's COMIC RELIEF, has passed away.

Shown in the center of this 2007 photo with retailing friends Jim Hanley, Mike Cresser, Derrick Taylor and Ralph Mathieu, Rory was dealing with a number of health issues in recent years.

At this time, I humbly ask for your good thoughts and prayers for Rory and his family.

Joe Field
ComicsPRO President


That's really unfortunate news for the industry. Rory was a great guy and a real legend to pretty much everyone who met him. His shop in Berkeley has long been one of the most respected stores around, too. Rory was a very passionate guy about comics, and a really interesting guy to talk to. Sorry he's no longer around to help us all keep advancing comics in his inimitable way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember once, my girlfriend and I were in Berkeley and arrived at the
Relief too late - they had already closed for the day.

From the cold and darkening outside, I was looking in the window just to
see what was within. Rory came up with a big smile and asked if we'd like
to come in and purchase what we needed. I was very thrilled to get in
there and get my latest copy of Acme Novelty Library, but I was in awe
that this guy would give us a few minutes of his time to browse the store.
The warmth and light within made the occasion that much better.
We talked a bit about Chris Ware and his meticulous work. Rory had even
purchased the big, ANL display stand for the store. On a seperate visti to
the store, we talked about that and our joy at the beauty of his work.

It was a simple gesture, yet still resonates with me to this day.
A very sweet guy.
RIP, Rory.